A new Tadano Mantis 15010 was used to set concrete poles in a seven mile stretch of powerline in North-Central Florida. The current power line upgrade project is nearly one month ahead of schedule at the completion of setting all of the poles. The Mantis 15010 leads its class with 77 ton max capacity, 260 hp Cummins QSB6.7 engine, low ground bearing pressure of 9.1 PSI, and high gradability of 69%. The heavy-duty Mantis made easy work of picking, carrying, and placing the concrete poles – which were up to 110 feet long and 40,000 pounds – through the rolling terrain that included river and swamp crossings. Such obstacles are next to impossible to navigate by other types of cranes.
There are several reasons that the Tadano Mantis crane was able to improve the efficiency of the crew and help completethe pole setting phase of this project well ahead of schedule:
1) Low ground pressure and high tractive power allowed the Mantis to traverse both soft and challenging terrain that rubber tired cranes cannot negotiate.
2) Full load chart pick and carry capabilities through 360°. The Mantis is not only the crane used to set the poles, but it is also the material handler that can carrythe poles from the truck to the worksite through all types of terrain.
3) A wide – stable operating stance with tracks extended, and a formidable load chart with tracks retracted in reduced clearance situations. The Mantis crane does not require outriggers for stability during lifting due to its inherent stability and low center of gravity. There is no production time lost in preparing worksites, setting crane mats, and setting outriggers; processes that are always or often required when using rubber tired cranes.
The newly released 15010 also includes the following operator friendly features:
– 20° tilting cab with standard air conditioning and heating
– Access walkways and improved machinery access covers
– Color video cameras and in-cab monitor that give views of winch operation and behind the machine
– Three remote control spotlights
Tadano Mantis Corporation Manufactures a full line of telescopic boom crawler cranes from 30 ton – 100 ton capacity. Optional features that are available for all crane models include: work platform, auger kit, pole claw, radio remote control, and hydraulic tool circuit.